Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Last Week

This is a short version of how events unfolded last Wednesday.

I was at work when Shená called me and told me through tears that Sariah was dead. She had fed Sariah and put her in her car seat, and then had gone out to start the car. When she came back, Sariah was blue and not breathing or responding. Shená then began CPR; when that didn't seem to be working, she called me at work. I left immediately and came home, trying to call 911 on the way. I got disconnected when I was just about home, so I just went home and ran in and took over with the CPR while Shená got the dispatcher back on the phone. The emergency crew got there about 5-10 minutes after I did. By that time Sariah no longer had a heartbeat. Shená rode in the ambulance and I followed behind to Children's Hospital. They were able with medication to get Sariah's heart beating again at the hospital, and had her on a ventilator, but they were never able to get any kind of response from her. At 7:00pm we took her off the ventilator and let her body go while we held her in our arms.

Of all the memories we have, this day is the hardest for us to deal with. We like to talk about our memories of Sariah, and we are sad, but grateful at the same time for the chance to know her even for a short time. But we struggle thinking about Wednesday. It was such a shock to us, as Sariah had been doing so well. Please pray for us, that God will give us peace about that day.

I am sure there are some of you that have questions. Please do not hesitate to ask us. We would much rather have people ask us questions directly than hearing them through other people. Next week sometime we hope to post some memories of Sariah, and that will probably be the last.

Thank you for all of your love, support, and prayers,

Matthew

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

{{{HUGS to you both}}}

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted you guys to know that we love you. We're praying for you daily. And we can only try to understand what you guys are feeling, but we're here for you if you need us. Love ya~Myron and Rebekah

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

matthew and shena;
we are here if you two need any thing just call or when you are in town stop by love you both and keeping you both in our prayers love ya charlie and sandi

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I don't know about everyone else, but I keep checking back for the pics/memories... I found this neat poem and thought of you.
It's time again for another birth, said the angels to the Lord above.
This special child will need much extra care and love.
Her progress may seem very slow, accomplishments she may not show.
And she'll require extra care from all the folks she meets down there.
She may not run and laugh and play; her thoughts may seem quite far away.
In many ways, she won't adapt; they'll label her as handicapped.
So let's be careful where she's sent; we want her life to be content.
Please, dear Lord, find parents who will do this special job for you.
They may not realize right away, the crucial role they're asked to play.
But with this child from above comes stronger faith and richer love.
And soon they'll know the priviledge given in caring for a gift from heaven.
Their precious baby, sweet and mild is heaven's very special child!
Love you-Schelle

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home